I have to admit I have really been on the fence about adopting again and a part of me really did not want to adopt but I really felt God leading us to do this. Driving back from Thanksgiving with 9 of us in the van this song came on and I found tears flowing from my eyes. Then I realized that God had connected my heart to a child half way around the world that I have not even met yet. My heart was breaking that she would be in an orphanage this Christmas and not with us at home.
I had some solace in knowing that she would receive a package from us before Christmas and in that package would be information and photos of her new family. My prayer became that the caregivers would start telling her about us and reassuring her that she would have a forever family soon.
Funny that a song could help me connect the dots and connect my mind and my heart to let me see that God had selected Hannah Joy to be our daughter and to be a part of our family. I had no idea that my heart had connected with this child in this way already. On the hard days when I want to question why we are doing this it helps to look back and recall the feelings that I had that day.
I know in my heart of hearts that God ordained us to adopt and that He selected Hannah Joy to be our daughter. This song just helps me connect my head to my heart because my head keeps thinking of the thousand reasons we should not adopt but my heart knows that we should adopt.
Here are the words to that song, nothing too profound, nothing that would normally touch you at a heart level but it touched me that day and again today as I read the words and listened to the song again:
Well, I don't know if you remember me or not
I'm one of the kids they brought in from the home
I was the red-haired boy in an old green flannel shirt
You may not have seen me, I was standing off alone
I didn't come and talk to you, 'cause that's never worked before
And you'll prob'ly never see this letter anyway
But just in case there's something you can do to help me out
I'll ask you one more time
All I really want for Christmas
Is someone to tuck me in A shoulder to cry on if I lose
Shoulders to ride on if I win There's so much I could ask for
But there's just one thing I need All I really want for Christmas is a family
Well, I guess I should go ahead and tell you now
If it's really true about that list you have
Somehow I always seem to end up in a fight
But I'm really trying hard not to be bad
But maybe if I had a brother or a dad to wrestle with
Well, maybe they could teach me how to get along
And from everything I've heard
Sounds like the greatest gift on earth would be a mom
All I really want for Christmas Is someone to tuck me in A shoulder to cry on if I lose Shoulders to ride on if I win There's so much I could ask for But there's just one thing I need All I really want for Christmas Is someone who'll be there To sing me "Happy Birthday" For the next 100 years
And it's OK if they're not perfect Well, even if they're a little broken, that's alright 'Cause so am I Well, I guess I should go It's almost time for bed And maybe next time I write you I'll be at home 'Cause all I really want for Christmas Is someone to tuck me in Tell me I'll never be alone Someone whose love will never end Of all that I could ask for Well, there's just one thing I need All I really want for Christmas All I really want for Christmas is a family
Just a family That's all I really need
No comments:
Post a Comment